The Marriott Owings Mills at Metro Centre
Integrated Media Efforts
Maroon PR (MPR) has been a valued partner of the Marriott Owings Mills at Metro Centre since their opening in 2021. Our team has taken a strategic approach to public relations efforts, focusing first on the hotel and restaurant grand opening and then shifting efforts to focus on daily social media management and growth.
Strategy & Background
In 2021, Maroon PR worked alongside David S. Brown and the Marriott team to handle media relations and social media management for the grand opening of the hotel and restaurant.
Throughout the year, Maroon PR secured several media placements within the Baltimore region to promote both the Marriott Hotel and The Tillery restaurant. Media outlets include the Baltimore Business Journal, CBS Baltimore, WBAL Radio, WBAL TV, WMAR, The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore Fishbowl, FOX 45 Baltimore, Baltimore Magazine, and the Patch. Our team also secured several in-person cooking segments specifically on WBAL-TV’s Sunday Brunch and FOX 45 Baltimore’s morning cooking segment. As part of our work, Maroon PR worked to enhance the Grand Opening guest list with influential business people, as well as media and social influencers.
From there, our work evolved to focus less on traditional media relations, and how to best grow the Hotel’s social media presence. With hotels, we have found that ongoing media relations can be challenging in this media environment, so in order to have a continued impact on the hotel’s success our strategy turned to social media content and influencer engagement.
– Maroon PR has been managing social for the Marriott Metro Centre since 2021 and has achieved positive results by fine-tuning the strategy to incorporate influencer-produced content.
– To the right and below is an example of a local influencer who was given a comped hotel stay, in exchange for detailing her experience through a reel and photography. The content not only lived on her own Instagram but was also provided to the Marriott for future use.
– Maroon PR also incorporates strategic contesting opportunities to help drive engagement and highlight the hotel as a destination for key holidays such as Valentine’s Day.
– As part of our initial engagement with The Tillery, the restaurant inside The Marriott, Maroon PR created reels and compelling social content to support the restaurant’s opening, which drove high engagement and traffic to the restaurant.
We encourage our clients to let us do more to drive business growth.
Learn how our integrated services can
work for you.
Strategy & Background
The Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill marks a new chapter for the State's rich horse and equestrian tradition. One of only two 5 Star events in the United States, and seventh worldwide, the prestigious 5 Star (CCI5*) designation is the pinnacle of the sport of Eventing, best described as an equestrian triathlon. Knowing that the event has been well attended by Equestrian enthusiasts, MPR was tasked with growing awareness for the Maryland 5 Start and the sport of Eventing to a wider general event-goer audience, particularly in Baltimore and the surrounding Counties. MPR developed a comprehensive earned, owned and paid media campaign focused on our strong media relationships to drive awareness in key markets and ultimately drive ticket sales across the four days of the event.
Our tactics included:
- A targeted media outreach plan using compelling pitches and a cadence of announcements to drive credibility and secure consistent media coverage leading up to the event.
- Creation of a unique media day in the Baltimore market where we took Eventing athletes - rider & horse - to the local television stations for a visual and interactive interview opportunity.
- Development & execution of strategic media buy encompassing digital, television, radio, print, and outdoor, using a mix of tactics to reach the target audience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Development & execution of email marketing strategy, along with handling messaging and deployment of the emails
- Media preview day on the Wednesday before the 4-day event to give media early access to the event.
- Proactive media relations efforts before and during the event, including the credentialing process, encouraging media attendance by both trade and mainstream media, and managing the press center onsite.
- General event attendance grew by 18% compared to 2022
- A total of 101 broadcast and online (print/digital) stories garnered
- Secured coverage across all four Baltimore TV stations throughout the campaign (WMAR, WBAL, WBFF and WJZ), through various pitching efforts.
- Secured multiple radio interviews on top news-talk radio station WBAL Radio and with WDEL Radio in Wilmington, Delaware, the region’s top news and information station.
- Deployed 37 email campaigns resulting in 195,233 total opens for a 47% Open Rate and 12,734 clicks to the website resulting in a 2.5% click-through-rate (CTR).
- Over 25 Million paid media impressions generated through advertising campaigns and media partners.