Media Relations Strategy Showcases Future of Port Covington
Since 2016, Maroon PR has worked on behalf of the Port Covington Development Team to manage media relations for one of the largest urban renewal efforts in America. The Port Covington redevelopment in Baltimore City is expected to generate thousands of new jobs, new businesses, better transit, more public parks, improved access to the waterfront, new space for manufacturing, fresh opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship and more for Baltimore City residents and its local workforce.
In September 2018, Maroon PR was tasked to create a strategic plan to announce to local media outlets the latest plans for 3 million square feet of new development in Port Covington.
At completion, Port Covington will include up to 18 million square feet of new, mixed-use development, 2.5 miles of restored waterfront, and 40 acres of parks and green space. Considering the development’s massive scope and significant local importance, it is always critical to ensure media outlets are provided with a full understanding of plans so that they can publish accurate updates.
Leveraging relationships Maroon PR has helped the Port Covington Development Team build over several years, Maroon PR organized a pen & pad briefing to release the development’s latest plans to trusted, local commercial real estate reporters. The pen and pad briefing, moderated by Maroon PR, allowed the Port Covington Development Team to fully explain its plans. It also provided reporters with the opportunity to ask questions and gain a full understanding of the exciting plans ahead.
Maroon PR’s focused approach landed detailed, accurate and impactful coverage throughout Baltimore City. Following a well-attended pen & pad briefing, Maroon PR secured stories in the Baltimore Sun, Baltimore Business Journal, The Daily Record, and SouthBmore.com.
Traditional public relations plays an important role in making sure that an accurate message is delivered to readers and viewers of media outlets everywhere. Exciting announcements can be delivered haphazardly, or they can be delivered with care. By using care, Maroon PR was able to announce its Port Covington’s exciting plans and boost buzz in a meaningful way
For more information on Port Covington, visit PC.City.
“We have been working with Maroon PR for several years now and their media relationships throughout our region have been invaluable. From the launch of Sagamore Spirit to the opening of the Sagamore Pendry Hotel and the ongoing development of Port Covington we have relied on Maroon PR for their expertise and understanding of our market and I only see our relationship with them growing in the future.” – Tom Geddes, CEO, Plank Industries
Our positive media relationships and dedication to research and creative pitches are keys to our success.
Learn how our media services can
work for you.
Strategy & Background
The Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill marks a new chapter for the State's rich horse and equestrian tradition. One of only two 5 Star events in the United States, and seventh worldwide, the prestigious 5 Star (CCI5*) designation is the pinnacle of the sport of Eventing, best described as an equestrian triathlon. Knowing that the event has been well attended by Equestrian enthusiasts, MPR was tasked with growing awareness for the Maryland 5 Start and the sport of Eventing to a wider general event-goer audience, particularly in Baltimore and the surrounding Counties. MPR developed a comprehensive earned, owned and paid media campaign focused on our strong media relationships to drive awareness in key markets and ultimately drive ticket sales across the four days of the event.
Our tactics included:
- A targeted media outreach plan using compelling pitches and a cadence of announcements to drive credibility and secure consistent media coverage leading up to the event.
- Creation of a unique media day in the Baltimore market where we took Eventing athletes - rider & horse - to the local television stations for a visual and interactive interview opportunity.
- Development & execution of strategic media buy encompassing digital, television, radio, print, and outdoor, using a mix of tactics to reach the target audience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Development & execution of email marketing strategy, along with handling messaging and deployment of the emails
- Media preview day on the Wednesday before the 4-day event to give media early access to the event.
- Proactive media relations efforts before and during the event, including the credentialing process, encouraging media attendance by both trade and mainstream media, and managing the press center onsite.
- General event attendance grew by 18% compared to 2022
- A total of 101 broadcast and online (print/digital) stories garnered
- Secured coverage across all four Baltimore TV stations throughout the campaign (WMAR, WBAL, WBFF and WJZ), through various pitching efforts.
- Secured multiple radio interviews on top news-talk radio station WBAL Radio and with WDEL Radio in Wilmington, Delaware, the region’s top news and information station.
- Deployed 37 email campaigns resulting in 195,233 total opens for a 47% Open Rate and 12,734 clicks to the website resulting in a 2.5% click-through-rate (CTR).
- Over 25 Million paid media impressions generated through advertising campaigns and media partners.