Building & Launching a Brand
In 2019, Maroon PR was hired by longtime President of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Jeff Idelson, to develop his new organization’s brand and then officially launch the brand using media relations and social media.
Million Media Impressions
Working closely with Jeff and his business partner to understand the mission, Maroon PR developed the brand pallet, logo and accompanying collateral and digital design pieces needed to launch the organization.
In addition to establishing the brand identity, Maroon PR has also created all accompanying digital content and collateral as the organization continues to establish itself in the marketplace.
Once the brand direction was solidified, Maroon PR worked with the Grassroots Baseball team to define and establish their social media presence and brand each of the platforms. Simultaneously, the MPR team developed a public launch plan that included a tiered approach to a media announcement and social media content push. In addition to the media relations strategy, the team developed a targeted media list and all accompanying press materials needed to introduce the new organization to the media.
MPR drafted and distributed Grassroots Baseball Announcement to national baseball media, and through targeted pitches secured interviews about the Grassroots Baseball launch with:
• USA Today’s Bob Nightengale
• ESPN’s Buster Olney
• ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap
• Sports Business Journal’s John Aceti
• Sports Business’ Eric Fisher
• Sporting News’ Ryan Fagan
• New York Times’ Tyler Kepner
• AP’s Ron Blum
We encourage our clients to let us do more to drive business growth.
Learn how our integrated services can
work for you.
Strategy & Background
The Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill marks a new chapter for the State's rich horse and equestrian tradition. One of only two 5 Star events in the United States, and seventh worldwide, the prestigious 5 Star (CCI5*) designation is the pinnacle of the sport of Eventing, best described as an equestrian triathlon. Knowing that the event has been well attended by Equestrian enthusiasts, MPR was tasked with growing awareness for the Maryland 5 Start and the sport of Eventing to a wider general event-goer audience, particularly in Baltimore and the surrounding Counties. MPR developed a comprehensive earned, owned and paid media campaign focused on our strong media relationships to drive awareness in key markets and ultimately drive ticket sales across the four days of the event.
Our tactics included:
- A targeted media outreach plan using compelling pitches and a cadence of announcements to drive credibility and secure consistent media coverage leading up to the event.
- Creation of a unique media day in the Baltimore market where we took Eventing athletes - rider & horse - to the local television stations for a visual and interactive interview opportunity.
- Development & execution of strategic media buy encompassing digital, television, radio, print, and outdoor, using a mix of tactics to reach the target audience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Development & execution of email marketing strategy, along with handling messaging and deployment of the emails
- Media preview day on the Wednesday before the 4-day event to give media early access to the event.
- Proactive media relations efforts before and during the event, including the credentialing process, encouraging media attendance by both trade and mainstream media, and managing the press center onsite.
- General event attendance grew by 18% compared to 2022
- A total of 101 broadcast and online (print/digital) stories garnered
- Secured coverage across all four Baltimore TV stations throughout the campaign (WMAR, WBAL, WBFF and WJZ), through various pitching efforts.
- Secured multiple radio interviews on top news-talk radio station WBAL Radio and with WDEL Radio in Wilmington, Delaware, the region’s top news and information station.
- Deployed 37 email campaigns resulting in 195,233 total opens for a 47% Open Rate and 12,734 clicks to the website resulting in a 2.5% click-through-rate (CTR).
- Over 25 Million paid media impressions generated through advertising campaigns and media partners.