Various Maroon PR Clients
CAPitalizing on the #StanleyCup
By now, everyone should know that aligning brands with trending topics has become a large part of public relations strategies. This trend holds true for both earned and owned publicity efforts.
One advantage of working with Maroon PR is the creativity our team brings to the table when it comes to less traditional tactics, as well as our diligence in bringing fun and effective ideas to life. A recent example was our ability to connect our Washington, D.C. region clients to the excitement surrounding the Capitals run for the Stanley Cup, which they ended up winning.
Here are some examples of well-executed ideas our team implemented that generated attention for clients:
Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America
Maroon PR had three friars wear Capitals jerseys for a photo opportunity. The photo was shared the day of the potential series clinching game with a message of prayer for a Capitals’ win. A very simple, yet highly effective social media play to help tie the Monastery into larger, secular conversations.
The result? On Facebook the photo was shared 183 times and received 2,393 engagements, reaching 25,000 people (a typical post reaches about 2,000 people). This led to approximately 50 new Likes on the Monastery’s page.
The photo was retweeted on Twitter 163 times and received 175 responses, leading to an estimated 315,200 impressions. This tweet alone helped gain 45 new followers.
The photo received over 90 engagements on Instagram, a positive boost to their activity on the platform.
Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament (Baltimore, Md. – Washington, D.C. Castle)
Maroon PR pitched story ideas featuring the “Red Knight” to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. media outlets ahead of Games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The hook was using the Vegas Golden Knights pre-game ice show, which had gained national attention, as a way to justify Medieval Times’ connection to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Our team secured live segments with WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C. ahead of Game 4. During the segment, the Red Knight played street hockey with Good Morning Washington’s mascot.
Ahead of Game 5, Maroon suggested a promotion should the Capital clinch the Cup. This turned into We the “36CAPS” promotion, which is discounting all tickets to $36.00 through the end of the year. Both WUSA-TV and WTTG-TV in Washington, D.C. made mentions of the promotion online.
The Greene Turtle
Throughout the playoffs, Maroon PR secured added media attention for The Greene Turtle by securing stories about the boost to sales the Capitals were adding, specifically for their location at Capital One Arena. Coverage was secured with News Channel 8, Fox 5, and WJLA-TV.
Our team also brought attention to The Greene Turtle’s Rock the Red cocktail in Baltimore and Washington, D.C. during the Capitals’ Stanley Cup Championship celebration.
Roy Rogers Restaurants
Our team encouraged creating a promotion for the Stanley Cup Finals win to build off of their current partnership with the Capitals. Maroon PR suggested the offer (a free regular sandwich with the purchase of a holster fry and drink on Friday, June 8) to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. media immediately following the Stanley Cup winning game and secured mentions with WUSA-TV, WTTG-TV and WJLA-TV on their websites.
The offer was also pushed by Maroon PR on Roy Rogers’ social media platforms which led to over 100 redemptions of the Caps offer the Friday after the game. This result was significantly higher than redemptions of their in-season promotion on days after Capitals’ wins.
We stay on top of trends and news to capitalize on opportunities for our clients, whether its securing traditional media or using social media. Let’s chat about what’s trending in your industry.
We encourage our clients to let us do more to drive business growth.
Learn how our integrated services can
work for you.
Strategy & Background
The Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill marks a new chapter for the State's rich horse and equestrian tradition. One of only two 5 Star events in the United States, and seventh worldwide, the prestigious 5 Star (CCI5*) designation is the pinnacle of the sport of Eventing, best described as an equestrian triathlon. Knowing that the event has been well attended by Equestrian enthusiasts, MPR was tasked with growing awareness for the Maryland 5 Start and the sport of Eventing to a wider general event-goer audience, particularly in Baltimore and the surrounding Counties. MPR developed a comprehensive earned, owned and paid media campaign focused on our strong media relationships to drive awareness in key markets and ultimately drive ticket sales across the four days of the event.
Our tactics included:
- A targeted media outreach plan using compelling pitches and a cadence of announcements to drive credibility and secure consistent media coverage leading up to the event.
- Creation of a unique media day in the Baltimore market where we took Eventing athletes - rider & horse - to the local television stations for a visual and interactive interview opportunity.
- Development & execution of strategic media buy encompassing digital, television, radio, print, and outdoor, using a mix of tactics to reach the target audience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Development & execution of email marketing strategy, along with handling messaging and deployment of the emails
- Media preview day on the Wednesday before the 4-day event to give media early access to the event.
- Proactive media relations efforts before and during the event, including the credentialing process, encouraging media attendance by both trade and mainstream media, and managing the press center onsite.
- General event attendance grew by 18% compared to 2022
- A total of 101 broadcast and online (print/digital) stories garnered
- Secured coverage across all four Baltimore TV stations throughout the campaign (WMAR, WBAL, WBFF and WJZ), through various pitching efforts.
- Secured multiple radio interviews on top news-talk radio station WBAL Radio and with WDEL Radio in Wilmington, Delaware, the region’s top news and information station.
- Deployed 37 email campaigns resulting in 195,233 total opens for a 47% Open Rate and 12,734 clicks to the website resulting in a 2.5% click-through-rate (CTR).
- Over 25 Million paid media impressions generated through advertising campaigns and media partners.