We redefine public relations through our creative use of earned, owned, and paid media to achieve extraordinary results and drive massive growth for our clients, while being the agency that our clients want to have a beer with.
about maroon pr
Drive Growth Through Relationships
Longtime public relations professional John Maroon started the firm in 2006 with a specific goal in mind: to drive growth for clients through meaningful relationships. Even though the public relations landscape has evolved over the years, relationships remain at the center of our company.
Maroon PR is a creative communications agency that drives growth through relationships. For over 17 years we have always understood and stuck to who we are: a values-driven agency.
Our expertise is highlighted in our core communications strategies – media relations, social media, content development, relationship building and targeted media buying – and through these, we have built a proven reputation of delivering the results our clients need to grow their businesses.
The Maroon PR client roster spans a broad breadth of industries, and our ability to find creative solutions for the challenges our clients face – regardless of the industry – is a cornerstone for our success. We continue to evolve at a rapid pace with a constantly changing media landscape. Maroon PR’s adaptability to this evolution, to remain at the cutting edge of our industry, allows us to redefine public relations to deliver the results our clients have come to expect.
With proven results in nearly two decades as an industry leader, we are proud of the success we continue to have for our clients. Our values-driven approach and commitment to becoming an extension of our client teams gives our clients confidence. They know they are working with a proven, adaptable team of problem-solvers, and at the end of the day, Maroon PR is the firm they want to have a beer with to celebrate the successes and plan for the future together.
our brand attributes
creative problem solvers
"I like them"
Drive Growth Through Relationships
we believe in the power of genuine relationships and share them to the benefit of our clients and partners.
We Are In This Together
we share contacts, ideas and brainpower for the success of our clients. We understand that succeeding for clients is our mission regardless of who leads the effort.
Results over Rhetoric
We are approachable and believe that honest conversations solve problems. No jargon … discussion, strategy, and results.
Evolving with our Industry
Since we began the world of public relations has changed and we have changed with it. We are nimble in the way we approach our work, and we pride ourselves in the ability to research, react and respond to communications trends.
We are results driven and believe in developing clear and actionable strategies in the areas of earned, owned, and paid media.
respect for each other, our clients, partners and press are the lynchpin to our success.
We live in a 24-hour world and understand that responsiveness breeds confidence and confidence builds relationships.
Public relations, when utilized fully and thoughtfully, works. We know it and have seen it and bring passion to our vocation.
Meet team maroon pr
account director & digital strategist
chief of staff
chief of naps
Assistant to the president
Our podcast: Spin is a four letter word
Whether you’re a potential client, employee, member of the media, social media influencer, or potential client partner, let’s chat!
Strategy & Background
The Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill marks a new chapter for the State's rich horse and equestrian tradition. One of only two 5 Star events in the United States, and seventh worldwide, the prestigious 5 Star (CCI5*) designation is the pinnacle of the sport of Eventing, best described as an equestrian triathlon. Knowing that the event has been well attended by Equestrian enthusiasts, MPR was tasked with growing awareness for the Maryland 5 Start and the sport of Eventing to a wider general event-goer audience, particularly in Baltimore and the surrounding Counties. MPR developed a comprehensive earned, owned and paid media campaign focused on our strong media relationships to drive awareness in key markets and ultimately drive ticket sales across the four days of the event.
Our tactics included:
- A targeted media outreach plan using compelling pitches and a cadence of announcements to drive credibility and secure consistent media coverage leading up to the event.
- Creation of a unique media day in the Baltimore market where we took Eventing athletes - rider & horse - to the local television stations for a visual and interactive interview opportunity.
- Development & execution of strategic media buy encompassing digital, television, radio, print, and outdoor, using a mix of tactics to reach the target audience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Development & execution of email marketing strategy, along with handling messaging and deployment of the emails
- Media preview day on the Wednesday before the 4-day event to give media early access to the event.
- Proactive media relations efforts before and during the event, including the credentialing process, encouraging media attendance by both trade and mainstream media, and managing the press center onsite.
- General event attendance grew by 18% compared to 2022
- A total of 101 broadcast and online (print/digital) stories garnered
- Secured coverage across all four Baltimore TV stations throughout the campaign (WMAR, WBAL, WBFF and WJZ), through various pitching efforts.
- Secured multiple radio interviews on top news-talk radio station WBAL Radio and with WDEL Radio in Wilmington, Delaware, the region’s top news and information station.
- Deployed 37 email campaigns resulting in 195,233 total opens for a 47% Open Rate and 12,734 clicks to the website resulting in a 2.5% click-through-rate (CTR).
- Over 25 Million paid media impressions generated through advertising campaigns and media partners.